This clip shows some of the interaction testing I ran on my final prototype for the fall semester.

(music by Nico Muhly)

Advertisements

 

Prototype

Prototype

Above is a photo of the prototype I created at the end of the fall semester. My goal in creating this prototype, was to experiment with some of the techniques I have been talking about incorporating into my interactive story quilt. This included quilting methods as well as integration of technologies into the quilted square. 

I thought of this prototype as a rough sketch and was more concerned with completing it than the narrative and aesthetic components. 

Below is an image of the circuit that was embedded into this prototype. 

 

 

Circuit

Circuit

I quickly sewed some copper to the back of one of my thermochromic ink  samples. The copper has a low resistance. In the video I connected the copper to 9v and 5v. The 9v activated the ink too fast. I think 5v will end up working well. More testing is needed where the copper is fixed more permanently to the back of the inked area.

Shadow test

December 5, 2008

I’m working on perfecting this technique. This test was to determine if this type of method could work in my quilt.

After this round of testing, I realize that a hanging quilt will work best.

Thanks to Steve, Matt, and Kerry Willig, Amelia Wolfe and John.

Screen print tests

November 26, 2008

Screen print samples

Today I broke out my screen printing materials. I ran some sample prints using both a standard red screen ink and some red to transparent thermochromic ink. I really enjoyed making the prints and a few of them came out pretty well. I tested several different fabric types. For a couple prints I drew a diamond ring in the  the woman’s silouette with a black sharpie and then printed the thermochromic ink on top of it. The ink was not thick enough to cover up the black ink, but I plan on testing this technique again with plain red ink or thread.

Experiment 2

October 13, 2008

A big part of my second formal thesis experiment, was to create a simulation of ways the quilt may reveal narrative elements. I projected this simulation on a white sheet and asked a few friends for feedback. Clicking on a black square in the border (with the exception of the top square) will reveal a detail of the narrative. In some instances this reveals information that will help the viewer to better understand the surface narrative. Other instances reveal alternate plots from different versions of the ballad.

The image below is a link that will open up the simulation in a new browser window. You will need Flash Player to view it.
Click here to redirect to a simulation of experiment2

Thanks to Kristin Scherrer and Marie Burrage.